This project is read-only.

I have a feeling these are going to be the wave of the future.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:08 AM
Once javascript and more functionality with sessions become available for Web Slices I believe people are going to leave RSS feeds in the dust. They can have everything they need graphically; updated; and interactive.
Feb 23, 2009 at 5:57 AM
I reckon so too!

Although I still think there will be a big place for RSS feeds - you know, a simple and lightweight format that doesn't need the interactivity and fanciness of web slices.

It might all come down to how the other browser vendors feel about web slices though I guess. I'm no IE fanboy but I do like web slices and wouldn't mind seeing the other browsers adopt this open standard*.

Dave

* It's open in that MSFT have released the docs about what the format should be etc but I've never seen a document that details how the browser should do the syncronisation and diff logic so that all browser vendors could have the same functionality. Also, I don't think I've ever read of a difference in user agent string. Given that web slices are a portion of a page a request will have to be made to that page, yet I don't think these requests should be counted as a normal request by analytics services.